Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Wet Tee Shirts

I was wet right through my clothing only a few minutes after work started. I'm not talking about a little moisture but the wring-out-your-tee shirt wet. It was supposed to be 32 degrees with humidity making it feel like 37 degrees but according to Robert the QC guy's thermometer it was 41 degrees in the sun and it felt hotter. I was concerned that I was melting! My first task of the day was to sweep out the trailers and to remove the trash. The trailers have air conditioning but it wasn't doing a lot of good. Perspiration fell in a constant drip from the front of my Hard Hat leaving little dirt circles where I had just swept up. Kind of counter productive really. But my soaking wet clothing was keeping me cool so I wasn't complaining. Another weird phenomenon of the heat and the sweat it causes has to do with going to the bathroom. I had more than 20 glasses of water yesterday. That's a lot of water going in. But when I tried to have a leak so I could check my urine colour for signs of dehydration I couldn't make anything come out! I guess it had all drip, drip, dripped out of the front of my Hard Hat! Nobody moved quickly yesterday but everyone looked as if they had. Almost every person had soaking wet clothing with tie-dye like salt stains running in weird patterns all over them. What a day! Today is supposed to be more of the same except that it is hotter and more humid. On the positive side the forecast calls for thunder showers this afternoon which is nature's way of breaking this kind of heat spell. All the same I am looking forward to leaving tomorrow night and getting back home where the lake and the beach are just a few blocks south of us and the cold water beach is a kilometer away over by my parent's house. The air conditioner that I bought on the last turn around will be a welcome sight as well. :) On the negative side some problems have arisen as we have moved closer to closing out this job. Several of the lunch trailers from both our location and down at the crusher have been sent back to the rental company so we are stacked pretty tightly into the last remaining 2 trailers. That in and of itself is not a problem. What is a problem is that 3 people at least have had money disappear from their wallets in the lunchrooms since the trailers were moved. I never bring a wallet to work but I still find this pretty disgusting. That said there is that old expression: 'You can trust an Ironworker with your life but not with your wallet or your wife.' Still, brothers stealing from brothers sucks and only serves to kill the strong sense of community that normally exists in our ranks. I think our shop steward Jordy will be saying something about it today especially because he is one of the guys missing cash. Have a great day, folks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment