Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Last bus ride to the bin...

We are doing the creep down one of the Wapasu roads making our way slowly to site. It's quiet on the bus mostly because there are so few people. But the same sun is visible through the clouds that has smiled down at us all these months. The same trees continue to struggle for their survival at the side of the road. The same lazy creeks are working their way towards the ocean. We were here and soon we will be gone. I left my mark here though on several levels. With the exception of the last few weeks that have been a little difficult I like to think I brought some happiness and friendship with me. Although I never wrote my name on anything I did add some happy faces when I wrote the torque ratings next to bolts that I helped to tighten. And I wrote this blog of course that documented a lot of what life has been like up here. All good I think. The last thing I want to comment on is a little statement that people make up here which seals the experience and friendships. It is how you can tell whether a person liked you or not. When saying goodbye you say "nice working with you". If the person says it back you know they are a friend. If not, if instead they say anything else, you know that you failed to win that person's respect. It is worth listening for. It is worth knowing who will be glad when they see you next and who will not. I believe in hanging out with the people I like and who like me. I won't slag the others of course but as always will remain positive and friendly. But I also have no desire to waste time with people who's gift to the world is negative energy. So I file these responses in the memory bank and carry on. To you the reader I say thank you for visiting with me through this site for the duration of this particular job. I do hope you stick around for future blog entries both from home (infrequent) and from CNRL where I am heading next. In the meantime it's been nice working with you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment