Monday, July 30, 2012

Time off

I am currently home for a few weeks of vacation and so far I am enjoying lots of sleep, family and friends. I think when you are on the go the way I have been for six months the 7 part of a 14/7 shift means less and less to you. So a little bit of a more prolonged stay is a very good thing.

This week we, as a family, have both a wedding and a funeral. My 'Auntie Claudia' died Friday night after a very long battle with COPD, cancer and age. She was 72. The amazing thing about her though is that the doctors said she was on her deathbed 10 years ago and she just kept on ticking! She was a pretty amazing woman. So one day this week I will be doing the 4 1/2 hour drive each way to attend the funeral. I will be driving down with my buddy Keith who I otherwise wouldn't have seen this trip so apparently there are positives to everything. The funeral is for my niece Kat who is marrying Matt. They are both nice kids but I barely know them. Despite being at numerous family events together they have always been in the other room both physically and metaphorically. So despite feeling pretty ambivalent towards the union I am looking forward to seeing a lot of family that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Yesterday I played a game of golf with my Dad, my brother Andy and my childhood friend Richard. Andy is in town for the wedding. Richard lives in town but works in Alberta like me so our scheduled time home often doesn't match up. Neither Ritch nor Andy have played golf in over 5 years so we split into two teams and played best ball. It was a good choice and we all had a crest time.

Tonight my wife and I are probably staying in for 'us' time. I am looking forward to that as she is my favorite person even after all these years. I still think she is beautiful and fun to be with. It is hard for me to believe that we started dating over 30 years ago! But the kids are grown up. Jak has moved out and is in a good job in Kingston. Hail still lives with us but not for long. Andsoon we get to start moving towards our dotage with an empty nest but with full hearts.

All good! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment