Friday, July 20, 2012

Busing to work...

So I am back which always seems to take a day to absorb. First there is checking into a new room and getting unpacked. Then there is getting used to the fact that it is a pillow I am snuggling with and not my beautiful wife. The first night's sleep is never the best, probably for the reason I just mentioned. When you wake up the first morning and open your door you usually have to think about which way to turn. Ditto for when you go through the door from your wing to the main hall. There are lots of little things the mind absorbs on day 1 which are usually routine by day 2. Another big change is figuring out who has returned, who has not and why. This time around all my scaffolder buddies seem to be gone from the front shift. This was most noticeable for me when I hit the brass alley this morning and the only familiar face was Mike Acorn's. All those friends from Ironworking, welding and scaffolding that I used to meet up with are all gone. Some quit, some got fired but most were either laid off or transferred. Waiward has lots of work at the moment so a lot would have stayed with them and taken the transfer. Our bus was so much quieter without the scaffolders. Usually Tom and Yvonne, Hoss, Glen, Pat and Emma would have been up here at the front of the bus with me. Today none of them are here. The job is winding down and this is how it goes. I know that. But it certainly changes the dynamic of the workgroup. I heard that today 5 more of the group are going for pee tests and then will be transferred. I wonder how many Formen will be getting transferred? At the moment there may be more of them then there are workers! This is all life in construction. It has both good sides and bad. It just takes a little getting used to. A little getting used to each time we return.

2 comments: