Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Ironworking belt

I started ironwork at the end of January and today marks the first time that I will have worn my Ironworking belt! The main reason for this is that I have been working with and for the welders so the belt was unnecessary. But now I am working in an ironworking capacity so I took it from my room and have it with me on the bus. The belt is an important symbol in ironworking much the same as a carpenter's belt or a doctor's scrubs. Our belt holds all of our tools and has pouches for various. It's and bolts. It has a piece of leather with a couple of holes in it. They call this a 'frog' and that is used to hold our spud wrenches. Spud wrenches have a wrench end and a pointed end. One end is used for lining up holes in columns and the other for turning nuts to tighten them. Ditto for the 'bull pin' which has a bullpin holder. There is a clip for our 12" adjustable wrench and two Kuny sacks for bolts. Usually there is a clip for a 6 lb hammer and another for one's 'sleever bar' which is used to lever things into position. Some have a back support (mine does) and some have shoulder straps (mine does not). Most veteran Ironworkers say you should wear your belt always. Even when working with the welders. I understand their point about this. But this was my first job and I was put on a welding crew so I followed the "when in Rome..." principle and didn't wear it. Maybe that is why they assumed I was a welding apprentice, lol! Today that all changes and the belt goes on. Have a great day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment