Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Finding work at Kearl Lake

This is just a quick note aimed at providing a little info on how one might go about finding work up here if they aren't from Alberta. More specifically it is for our American neighbors. What inspired this was a combination of two things. The first was two American Ironworkers who commented on my blog in the comments section (thanks Spudwrench73 and John from Boston). The second reason is that I had more than 130 page views today so maybe those two guys told two friends who told two friends and so on. As I can't imagine my writing being that inspiring I figure that it might be unemployed folk looking for leads. So here are a couple. For Ironworkers (and certified welders)go to ironworkers720.com and on the dispatch page I believe that there is a phone number for interested Americans to try. I know on the same page there are a lot of good jobs listed but one must go through the process and that would be the number I mentioned. I was talking to a guy from the boilermakers union and he said that by midsummer they will have 1,300 positions that they won't be able to fill. I can't confirm this but if you type in 'Edmonton' and 'boilermaker' into google their website will tell you more. They also use certified welders by the way. The pipe fitters (and welders... seems everyone uses welders) are probably in the same boat so try 'Edmonton' and 'pipe fitter' and see what comes up. Same for the Sheet Metal Workers. The scaffolders are through the carpenter's union so not sure about them but try google. Ditto for electricians (who also use welder!). I am a union guy so there is no way that I will tell non-union people to call J.D. Driver. I refuse to encourage scab labour. Good luck all. Being unemployed sucks especially when you are a tradesman. I hope this helps some of you. Please feel free to repost this. I hope to see you in Alberta some day. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the leads Pete. I enjoy your posts very insightful and interesting. There is a few of us on the facebook ironworker boomer info page that are seeking work in Alberta. Some have received job offers from Waiward Steel at CNRL horizon project. I am still waiting to hear from them.
    John from Boston
    lordo@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John! Thanks for the comment and the heads up on the Facebook page. Of interest there was an article in the Edmonton Journal that I saw a friend post on his Facebook page that was all about Alberta companies recruiting in the USA for skilled trades and technical workers. I will try to get the URL for you but it may be easier for you (or the other interested folks) to look it up at the Journal's home page. The article is probably from yesterday or the day before. Waiward is a good company so you will enjoy working for them and CNRL has a bar so if you like a drink now and again it won't drive you as crazy as Kearl would. Thanks for the kind comment! Iron Pete :)

    ReplyDelete