Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Rain, rain go away...

It's foggy this morning. The kind of fog you'd see in a horror flick. The kind of fog that makes it impossible to tell what time it is especially up here where there are only a couple of hours of darkness in every 24 hours. But the rain has stopped for a few minutes which is a nice change. It's been raining hard here for 3 days. Each day it has rained a little harder than the day before. So day after day I have been soaked to the skin in the first half hour on the job and then have worked the next nine and a half while wet. We do have raincoats in the tool crib but they are plastic and so they don't breath which means I would be soaked anyway if I wore one as they make me perspire like a melting ice cube on a hot summer day. Don't get me wrong I do like the rain. Especially when I am sleeping when the rat-a-tat-tat of it hitting my window pushes me into a deeper sleep than I normally enjoy. Last night for instance I enjoyed a deep and peaceful sleep that could have gone on forever. On a construction site rain can be a problem. We do have the option of going home to avoid it and lots of people do. This is especially true if you are working outside rigging or something. You can bet that the iron workers aren't that keen to walk the beams when they are covered with water. And if they aren't working and you are the rigger what do you do then? Ditto for the scaffolders whose job gets infinitely more dangerous and dirty when the scaffolding is wet. But what happens when it rains several days in a row? Having one day off isn't bad as you can get some laundry done and catch up on a little sleep. But by day three you are bored out of your gourd and all you can think about is how small your next cheque will be. So it isn't uncommon for someone to take the first rain day off and then to show up each day after that even though it is still raining and is quite possibly raining even harder! Irony at its best care of mother nature! I was checking the forecast this morning for my home town in Ontario. It is supposed to be in the 30s and extremely humid. That weather would suck to work in as well. In fact as we don't have air conditioning in our house it will suck for sleeping too. But what a nice change for my days off. Good swimming weather. I will probably visit the nice sandy beach that is just a few blocks south of my home. I will probably get out fishing as often as I can because standing chest deep in Cold Creek will cool me down even if I am wearing waders. And I will golf even though nothing about it will cool me down and instead my clothing will be as soaked with sweat then as they will be from rain today. Out the window of the bus the rain falls slow and steady from the heavy, low lying clouds. But tomorrow I fly home and so the rain will not dampen my spirits. The thought of it keeps me warm and dry in spirit at least. And who knows? If it starts to thunder and lightening maybe I will get sent back to camp where getting my laundry done and having a little nap will be set to the soundtrack of the rain hitting my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment