Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Little Sundries

Lots of little things to cover today. Most are the result of the changing weather. So today may be all over the place or I may start onto a topic and simply not let go!

Things at Wapasu camp are quite different this time of year. It is generally above zero out so people aren't wearing the same heavy clothing that they were last turn around. Another thing that you notice is the level of dust everywhere. As they spend the winter dumping crushed limestone on everything to reduce the slip hazard that limestone is now drying out and is turning to dust.

You notice evidence of the dust everywhere but most especially in the halls of the camp. I get up at 4:15am and throw on my sweats before heading down the long maze of halls to the dining room. There aren't that many people up and about at that time and the air is still clear for the most part. Most people get up and put on their work clothes and boots before heading to breakfast. So when I have finished my bowl of fruit with a dollop of yoghurt on top and have been through the bag-up room I notice the difference in the air quality in the halls.

In the half hour it takes me to eat and then hit the bag up room legions of dusty workers have emerged from their wings and have shuffled up the halls. Their boots give off the gray dust and the shuffling puts it up and into the air. Walking down the halls you notice it heavy in the air. It reduces visability like a very dirty pair of glasses. You immediately wonder about the effect it will have on your lungs. As a result when I head to the bus after dressing I slip out the back door and walk across the parking lot instead.

I should point out that the camp does have very large machines in the halls which work to purify the air but at times of heavy walking traffic they don't stand a chance. I understand that as the weather heats up the camp send a regular fleet of water trucks around which drop water on the road in a constant battle with the dust. I also understand that even with this effort the dust wins the battle.

I mentioned the result of the reduced need for clothing on the workers. No hats aren't worn and hoodies are only seen before first coffee. This change made me aware of a fact that I had previously missed. That fact is that half the time in the winter you only know who you are talking to because of the name on their hat or because you may be familiar with their jacket say or the way they walk. One thing you have no idea about generally is how old or how fit a person is. This is because all of the typical clues which help you to determine these things are buried inn layers of clothing and under hats, hoodies, balaclavas and neck warmers. Add the safety requirement to wear safety goggles which cover a huge portion of your face and the person might as well be a storm trooper from the Star Wars movies.

With reduced clothing comes increased recognition. I have been startled to see how old or old looking, some of the crew are! But the nice weather is a blessing. I am not looking forward to hot summer but I will take spring any day! It's a time when everything emerges from its cacoon and life returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment