Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Importance of Following Sports at Kearl Lake

One of the things about working up at Kearl Lake is the importance of sports. People here come from all over Canada (and Around the world actually) and so there is a real diversity of teams that are supported here. In 99% of situations there is no serious friction caused by having a different favorite than your workmates and buddies. Instead it is usually just fodder for friendly banter.

All kinds of sports are followed here and the camp does its best to accommodate by showing 'big events' on a big screen in a conference room. The first time I saw this was for a UFC bout. As I walked back to my room from supper I passed a room where guys were pouring in and from which the raw smell of testosterone flowed. A glance in showed the event as did a poster on the wall. But those weren't necessary as every guy going to the event had their 'tap out' and other varied UFC gear on and every man walked with that swagger you might have if you were personally going to fight that night. As they have a UFC event seemingly every week I skipped the event and went back to my room to sleep.

Hockey may well be the biggest sport followed here. That is probably because hockey is so deeply sewn into the fabric of Canadian life. Even more than UFC gear is the prevalence of hockey team 'branded' items. As Kearl is full of tradesmen who make lots of money and tend to spend it quickly there is no limit to the amount or type of gear a fellow might have. Everything from hats and shirts right down to slippers and including tatoos. And woe to the guy whose team finishes badly in a year as he will be jeered and laughed at until we get far enough into the playoffs that most teams have been eliminated. Then all the 'losers' commiserate together and start talking about next year.

The possible exception to the jeers would be for Toronto Maple Leafs fans. This is because they suck and everyone knows it. Everyone either was a Leafs fan or knows one and talk around that team tends to always focus on 'next year'. I was (and still secretly am) a Leafs fan. But one year I moved to BC and started to watch the Canucks. It was surprising and pleasant all at once. They seemed to win almost every game, they came back from deficits to win late in games, and they weren't golfing by April! In fact watching them is where I learned that the season actually ends in the middle of the summer and that they have a thing called 'playoffs' which happens at the same time roughly that the average Leaf player gets in his 30th round of golf for the year! Talk a out hockey bliss!

One team I hate is the Montreal Canadians. Lots of people secretly follow them in a similar way as to how lots of people secretly follow the Leafs. Usually they make the playoffs. Usually they are exciting. Not so this year! As a result they are roundly bashed by hockey fans here. As is anyone who watches them or who wears their gear!

I have a pair of Montreal Canadian slippers. They were almost free at the store and like the team they are soft and have no sole! I had forgotten that I had them on the other night when I we t down the hall to do laundry. So I had no idea why guys were looking at me and laughing as I made my way down the hall with a big load of clothes in my arms. That was until the load went into the machine! I suddenly felt like a man who was caught sleeping with his sister! Suffice it to say I pocketed the slippers and walked back to my room barefoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment