Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bye bye Down Town Brown!

My foreman was sent packing yesterday. Not because of work. It was because the drug dogs picked off his coat in the hallway while he was at supper in the camp. Yes it is that strict in camp. Hence the commonly used moniker 'Kearl Correctional'. I will miss him. He was a great foreman with a positive attitude who encouraged often and shared his big energy with everyone. But I guess he shouldn't have left his coat in the hall with a joint in the pocket!

The camp can be really oppresive. On one turnaround I got home to find a letter on my bed from the camp telling me that they had proof I had smoked in my room and that next time I would be kicked off site for it. I have never smoked in my room! I was pissed and called the lodging guy. I asked what the evidence was and he said he had found a cigarette butt on my floor! I told him it could have come off my boot. He said 'we thought of that but when we went through your garbage we found four more'. Went through my garbage??? So I said I had taken them from my pocket (when you smoke at work it's a no-no so you pocket the butts to avoid suspicion... but I didn't admit that). He then pointed out that throwing butts in the garbage is a serious fire hazard. I asked how many butts that had been in a guy's pocket for 6 hours were ever still a fire hazard. It was then that I realized how dangerous it can be at camp. I now put my butts into the toilet and flush them. That or I pull them from my pocket in the smoke pit and pitch them into the recepticle there.

Overall I like my job and the camp isn't too bad. But you have to always realize how little it takes to get you sacked either by the employer or by the camp itself. In the meantime I am going to miss my first foreman Mr Down Town Brown!

No comments:

Post a Comment