Friday, May 25, 2012

Keepin' it together....

I'm convinced I'm falling apart! It's ok. I mean I can still do my job no problem but I'm wondering what is going on here. When I was a teenager (I know that was 30 years ago) I would injure myself inadvertently all the time. Part of being born clumsy I guess. But in those days I could heal from anything in less than a week. Every Friday night I played football where inevitably I would injure myself. Every Friday night after the game when everyone else was out partying I was sitting in the hospital listening to a do for tell me that my season was over because of the latest wounds. And every Monday afternoon I was back on the field for practice all healed up! I remember one game where I fractured a leg, a jaw and a rib all in the first quarter of the game! None of those guys played again, lol! Just kidding. ;-) Nowadays my healing pattern seems perpetually stuck on the slow bus. I am pretty sure that if I had 't been doing competitive karate for all those years (I stopped at Christmas of last year) there is no way I could start into a career like this. I mean I have early onset arthritis in one ankle (that's from football for sure). I have a minor hernia that I need operated on. I developed tendinitis in my right arm so I had to start doing most things left handed. Now I can tell I am developing tendinitis in that one too! And just this morning one of my fillings fell out and landed in my bowl of Vector cereal!! The worst part is probably the fact that the biggest muscle on my body may very well be my prostate which is abnormally large. Aargh! Thank God for Avodart, lol! What makes me laugh the most about all these little maladies is that I couldn't care less! I love my job and I love my life. Things could definitely be worse. Far worse actually. Instead I medicate the prostate, wear a little brace on the right elbow, ignore the left elbow and eat an Aleve for breakfast each day to knock out the ankle. Everything else I just laugh my way through. I really do believe that laughter and attitude are the best medicine. I was watching a show on that little French Canadian girl who had the double lung transplant a couple of months ago. I started thinking that I am glad I am listed as an organ donor. It really is an incredible gift that you can give once you are personally done using your organs. I highly recommend it. But I do want them to leave something that can be burned and then tossed into a river somewhere. But what if they don't want my organs when I have finished with them? I mean after years of smoking I think the lungs would be pitched onto the reject pile. They work fine for me but anyone they planted them I would likely be stoned the rest of their life! At least they could use my liver. I think. Ok. Maybe scratch the liver. I've put a lot of miles on that sucker. A swimming pool of beer. Enough wine to wipe out a small village. Etc. so maybe the liver is out. But my kidneys... Oh. I had that weirdo virus I picked up in Africa. So I guess I'll be keeping that too. My eyes are...oh shit! Even I can't see out of them. Makes me wonder how I get up each morning! So what IS my best feature? It's certainly not my hair which abandoned ship a long time ago. I can't say it's my stunningly good looks either. Most likely it is my positive attitude and the good energy I work hard to share with those around me. I'm not saying the glass is half full (frankly I always thought it was the wrong size glass) but you really do create the weather that you live in and I choose sunshine! And when I do I find most other people shine right back. And that's why I am happy being happy. :)

1 comment: